Whether it’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner, children love waffles! And so do we!
This sweet treat is loved by many worldwide that there is even a day dedicated to celebrating its existence — International Waffle Day (which falls on 25th of March).
In the US, we observe National Waffle Day on the 24th of August every year, to commemorate the day that Cornelius Swarthout, a New Yorker, first patented the waffle iron back in 1869.
Since it’s National Waffle Day today, we’ve found the perfect trio of recipes for you to try in the comfort of your home.
Rise and Shine With Miss Custard Waffle
Image Source: Sephra USA
- Waffle batter
- Raspberries (or fruit topping of choice)
- Whipped cream (canned is great!)
Making the Custard:
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 and 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of flour (heaping)
- 1/2 cup of water
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan and heat slowly. Be careful not to burn the milk.
- Mix the remaining ingredients for the custard in a bowl until smooth.
- When the milk is halfway hot, add the mixture from the bowl and stir until thick.
- Prepare the waffle batter and waffle maker.
- When serving, add the fruit toppings and whipped cream.
- Finally, pour the custard over the waffles and enjoy!
Recipe Adapted From Sephra USA.
Get Zesty With Mr Blueberry Lemon Waffle
Image Source: Let’s Mingle Blog
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of butter (melted)
- 2 cups of cake flour
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 and 3/4 cups of buttermilk
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- Whipped cream (for serving)
Making the Lemon Curd:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons of butter (cut into pieces)
- 1 tablespoon of heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Start with making the lemon curd.
- Pour 2 inches of water into a medium-sized saucepan and let it simmer.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and salt in a heat-proof bowl.
- Set the bowl above the saucepan but do not let the bottom touch the water.
- Once the mixture thickens, quickly add the remaining lemon curd ingredients.
- Whisk the mixture until smooth and then refrigerate in a covered container.
- Next, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, and eggs.
- Add both mixtures together and mix until blended. Add the blueberries and stir.
- Bake the waffles in your waffle maker.
- Serve the waffles warm, together with the lemon curd, some whipped cream, and extra blueberries!
Recipe Adapted From Let’s Mingle Blog.
Get Cozy and Ready for Sleep With Mr Chocolate Orange Waffle
Image Source: Sew White
- 300 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 orange (for the zest and juice)
- 450 ml of semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- Nutella or chocolate spread (for serving)
- Fresh orange slices (for serving)
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl.
- Mix in the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Add orange zest and juice to the mix.
- Add the eggs and oil.
- Pour in the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Bake the waffle in your waffle maker.
- Spread a good amount of Nutella over them and enjoy with a few slices of fresh orange.
Recipe Adapted From Sew White.